Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Stars Stickers & Sweets

If you know my deeper thoughts, you'll know that I have always had a hard time seeing life through diagrams, charts, systems and ready-made concoctions to be ingested. I like for things to be a little more vibrant, flavoured with space for creativity and imagination.

Well, that was then. Back when my stomach was flat and childbearing hadn't left its imprints. Back when I slept through the night uninterrupted. Back when getting up, mealtimes and bedtimes were not dictated by three little pairs of hands and feet.

Theoretically, my views haven't shifted, but in practice, I have to admit that motherhood has thrown a few (mostly good) surprises my way.
I have had seasons when after a whirlwind of a day, I come to a standstill and google, out of desperation, "how to deal with a strong-willed child". In surrender, I seek for answers from the pixelated black and white print. And surely enough, I find solace from the words and regain strength for the next day, armed with good intentions, tools and strategies. Those very ones I thought I would never touch, use or need. Trust me I have had to climb down from my high horse a good few times, and cup my hands around those droplets of wisdom written on those parenting/psychological/pediatric blogs and drink deep.

My biggest surprise, however, wasn't so much that these things work - they actually make my parenting a whole lot easier (I almost feel like a fraud!).
We are into day 3 of an appreciatively borrowed "smiley face system" (it does make me cringe, but believe me, it's great) for our eldest, and I can tell you that it makes my life simple and my expectations of her clear. When those are unmet, I simply have to remove one of the smiley faces off the fridge (which correspond to an end of the day treat), instead of going into an inner rage, raise my voice and get exhausted by it all. Simple and efficient. For all concerned. Thank you smiley faces.

Oh I get by with a lil' help from my friends. 

I'm learning and living that some ideals must bend to the wind of reality, and kiss the fertile ground that is a blossoming life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home